Coastal Monitoring Using Video Analysis
Several inexpensive techniques have been developed for
obtaining data from coastal regions. Data gathered by these methods
have identified the phenomenon of net offshore sandbar migration. This
phenomenon has only been observed systematically in the last few years,
and the data provided from this project adds considerably to the
understanding of the underlying mechanisms. The objective of this
project is to develop technology (both hardware and software) that will
enable the potential of video monitoring to be realised for local,
regional, and national monitoring networks.
- Donald Bailey (Project Leader)
- Roger Shand (PhD: 1992 - 2000) "Offshore Migration of
Coastal Sand-bars at Wanganui, New Zealand"
- T.D. Shand, R.D. Shand, and D.G. Bailey, "Automated detection of breaking wave height using a simple optical technique", Journal of Coastal Research, (2011).
- T.D. Shand, W.L. Peirson, D.G. Bailey, and R.J. Cox, "Optical measurements of breaking water wave profiles", Water Research Laboratory Technical Report 236. University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (2009).
- T. Shand, R. Shand, D. Bailey, C. Andrews, "Wave deformation in the vicinity of a long ocean outfall at Wanganui, New Zealand", 2005 Coasts and Ports Australasian Conference, Adelaide, Australia, (21-23 September 2005).
- R.D. Shand, D.G. Bailey, P.A. Hesp, and M.J. Shepherd, "Conceptual beach-state model for the inner bar of a storm-dominated micro-meso tidal range coast at Wanganui, New Zealand", Proceedings of the International Conference on Coastal Sediments 2003. CD-ROM Published by World Scientific Publishing Corp. and East Meets West Productions, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA. ISBN 981-238-422-7. (May 2003).
- R.D. Shand, D.G. Bailey, M.J. Shepherd, "Longshore Realignment of Shore-Parallel Sand-Bars at Wanganui, New Zealand", Marine Geology, 179: 147-161 (2001).
- R.D. Shand, M.J. Shepherd, D.G. Bailey, "Morphological investigations along the Wanganui Coast: 1990-1998", Miscellaneous Publication Series 2000/1, School of Global Studies, Massey University (May 2000)
- R.D. Shand, D.G. Bailey, M.J. "Characteristics of Bar Switching on the Wanganui Coast", Shepherd, New Zealand Geography Conference Abstracts, NZ Geographical Society (July 1999) (abstract & presentation only).
- R.D. Shand, D.G. Bailey, M.J. Shepherd, "An Inter-Site Comparison of Net Offshore Bar Migration Characteristics and Environmental Conditions", Journal of Coastal Research 15(3): 750-765 (1999).
- R.D. Shand, D.G. Bailey, "A Review of Net Offshore Bar Migration with Photographic Illustrations from Wanganui, New Zealand", Journal of Coastal Research 15(2): 365-378 (1999).
- D.G. Bailey, R.D. Shand, "Data Fusion Issues in Analysing Coastal Morphodynamic Systems", Proceedings of the first joint Australia and New Zealand conference on Digital Image and Vision Computing: Techniques and Applications, DICTA'97 / IVCNZ'97, Albany, Auckland, pp 107-112 (December 1997).
- K Black, J Dahm, D Bailey, B Young, P Dell, M Stringfellow, P Osborne, T Hume, M Green, T Healy, H Brookes, N Olsen, R Lieffering, "Cam-Era: Computer Controlled video monitoring", Integrated approaches to Marine Sciences Joint NZMSS/AMSA Conference, poster presentation, (July 1997)
- D.G. Bailey, R.D. Shand, "Determining Large Scale Sandbar Behaviour", Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing, Lausanne, Switzerland, Vol II, pp 637-640 (September 1996)
- D.G. Bailey, R.D. Shand, "Determining Wave Run-up using Automated Video Analysis", Proceedings of the second New Zealand Conference on Image and Vision Computing, Palmerston North, pp 2.11.1-2.11.8 (August 1994)
- D.G. Bailey, R.D. Shand, "Determining large scale sandbar evolution", Proceedings of the first New Zealand Conference on Image and Vision Computing, Auckland, pp 109-116 (August 1993)