Superresolution from Multiple Images
High resolution imaging systems are expensive, so this
project is investigating the approach of constructing a high resolution
image from a series of low resolution images. The individual images are
registered, and the ensemble resampled to give a single high resolution
image. Techniques include sub-pixel registration methods, non-uniform
interpolation, and inverse filtering for image restoration.
Applications are in digital photography, image analysis, and digital
- Donald Bailey (Project Leader)
- Stephen Marsland
- Andrew Gilman (PhD: 2003 - 2008) "Least-Squares Optimal Interpolation for Direct Image Super-resolution"
- Thomas Lill (FYP: 1999) "Image Resolution Improvement
from a Low Resolution Ensemble"
- Daniel Peacocke (FYP: 1998) "Improving Resolution by
Using a Series of Undersampled Images"
- David Page (Hons: 1992) "Image Resolution Improvement
by the Combination of an Ensemble of Low Resolution Images"
- A. Gilman, D. Bailey, and S. Marsland, "Least-squares optimal interpolation for fast image super-resolution", in 5th IEEE International Symposium on Electronic Design, Test and Applications (DELTA 2010), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 29-34 (13-15 January, 2010).
- A. Gilman, D.G. Bailey, and S.R. Marsland, "Model-based least squares optimal interpolation", in Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ 2009), Wellington, New Zealand, 124-129 (23-25 November, 2009).
- A. Gilman, D. Bailey, and S. Marsland, "Interpolation Models for Image Super-resolution", in IEEE International Symposium on Electronic Design, Test and Applications (DELTA 2008), Hong Kong, pp 55-60 (23-25 January, 2008).
- A. Gilman and D.G. Bailey, "Noise Characteristics of Higher Order Predictive Interpolation for Sub-Pixel Registration", in IEEE Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology, Cairo, Egypt, pp 269-274 (15-18 December, 2007).
- D.G. Bailey and A. Gilman, "Bias of Higher Order Predictive Interpolation for Sub-pixel Registration", in 6th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing, Singapore, (10-13 December, 2007).
- A. Gilman and D.G. Bailey, "Near optimal non-uniform interpolation for image super-resolution from multiple images", in Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ'06), Great Barrier Island, NZ, pp 31-36 (27-29 November, 2006).
- D.G. Bailey, "Sub-pixel profiling", 5th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing, Bangkok, pp 1311-1315 (6-9 December 2005)
- D.G. Bailey, A. Gilman, R.F. Browne, "Bias characteristics of bilinear interpolation based registration", IEEE Tencon'05, Melbourne, Australia, (21-24 November 2005)
- D.G. Bailey, "Super-resolution of bar-codes", Journal of Electronic Imaging, 10(1): 213-221 (2001)
- D.G. Bailey, "Predictive Interpolation for Registration", Proceedings of Image and Vision Computing Conference NZ, Hamilton, pp 240-245 (November 2000)
- D.G. Bailey, T.H. Lill, "Image Registration Methods for Resolution Improvement", Proceedings of Image and Vision Computing NZ, Christchurch, pp 91-96 (August 1999)
- D.G. Bailey, "Image Capture Modelling for High Resolution Reconstruction", Proceedings of Image and Vision Computing NZ, Auckland, pp 38-43 (November 1998).
- D.G. Bailey, "Super-Resolution of Bar Codes", SPIE Proceedings, Vol 3521 Machine Vision Systems for Inspection and Metrology VII, Boston, pp 204-213 (November 1998)